1. What types of doctors are available for online scheduling at the Hoag Medical Group website?
At the Hoag Medical Group website, you can currently schedule appointments online with our primary care physicians, including family medicine, internal medicine, and pediatrics as well as sports medicine. Click on the links below for more information:
For other Hoag physicians, including specialists, you can schedule appointments by calling the phone number provided on their profile page. Our Find a Doctor page gives you the option to search by doctor name and specialty.
2. How do I choose a Visit Type when booking an appointment on the website?
When scheduling an appointment on the Hoag Medical Group website, select from the following visit types based on your needs. It’s important to tell us the primary reason for your visit so we can prepare and follow protocols to best assist you. The visit type options include:
- New Patient Visit: This type of appointment is for your first visit to establish care with your new physician. It is designed to include a thorough review of your past medical history.
- Annual Well Visit: An Annual Well Visit enables you to make a separate appointment with your physician for a general health evaluation and to discuss health concerns without presenting a specific serious problem. Examples of Annual Well Visit might include a physical, a well woman exam or an Annual Medicare Wellness Visit.
- Office Visit: An Office Visit enables you to make an appointment with your physician for evaluation if you have a new, specific health concern.
- Urgent Sick Visit – These are same day visits typically covering a current illness or injury. Visit time varies depending on the condition.
- Find your physician and schedule the appropriate visit type based on your needs. You can start your search here.
Important: Online scheduling is not intended for emergencies. Please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency room if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
3. How can I schedule an appointment online as a new patient?
Whether you recently moved to Orange County or you’re in search of a new physician, scheduling online with a Hoag Medical Group primary care physician is simple.
- Scheduling with a guest account. You can book online directly through our website using a guest account. During this process you need to provide personal information such as your name, date of birth, address, phone number and email address. If your details are already on file with Hoag, we will match this to your record. Please provide your insurance details and a note on the reason for your visit.
- Scheduling with a Hoag Connect MyChart account. If you already have a Hoag Connect MyChart account, you can schedule online without the need to re-enter your personal information and insurance details. You can learn more about Hoag Connect MyChart here. Please add a note explaining the reason for your visit.
We look forward to supporting your journey as a new patient. Start your search here.
4. Primary care versus urgent care – what’s the difference? How do I choose when to schedule an appointment with a primary care physician or visit urgent care?
Deciding whether to go to urgent care or primary care physician depends on the nature and severity of your medical issue. Below are some guidelines to help you make the decision whether to go to your Hoag primary care physician or an urgent care provider:
- Routine Check-Ups: For annual physical exams, vaccinations, and preventive care, your primary care doctor is the best choice.
- Chronic Conditions: For ongoing management of chronic conditions like diabetes, hypertension, asthma, and depression, you should see your primary care physician regularly.
- Long-Term Care: If you have a complex or long-term medical issue that requires ongoing care and monitoring, your primary care doctor will provide continuity of care.
- Referrals: Your primary care physician can refer you to specialists and/or order tests, if necessary, which may not be available at an urgent care center.
- Vaccinations: Primary care should be the first stop for basic vaccinations such as flu shots, Covid-19 vaccines and other recommended immunizations.
- Prescription Refills
A primary care physician serves as your guide and helps coordinate your care during times of well-being and sickness. Whether you have an HMO or PPO health plan, a relationship with a primary care physician has many benefits for your long-term health and wellness.
- Acute Injuries: Go to urgent care for minor injuries like sprains, strains, minor fractures, cuts and burns that aren’t life-threatening but require immediate attention.
- Common Illnesses: If you have a non-life-threatening illness such as a fever, flu, cold, ear infection or urinary tract infection (UTI) and can’t get a same-day appointment with your primary care physician, urgent care can be a good option.
- Minor Procedures: Some urgent care centers can perform minor procedures like providing stitches or draining abscesses.
- After-Hours Care: When you need care outside of regular office hours or on weekends when your primary care physician is unavailable.
- Hoag Urgent Care provides care for patients of all ages.
Ultimately, the decision between urgent care and primary care depends on the urgency of your medical issue and the availability of your primary care physician. If you are unsure, it’s recommended that you contact your doctor’s office for guidance or the Hoag Medical Group Nurse Advice Line at 949-688-2773.
Remember that if you have a life-threatening emergency, such as severe chest pain, difficulty breathing, uncontrolled bleeding, signs of stroke, or any other critical condition, you should call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency room immediately.
5. How do I book appointments for my children?
Hoag Medical Group is committed to serving parents and children in Orange County. Our board-certified pediatricians are experienced to address the physical, social and emotional well-being of your children. We know there are many reasons to bring your child to the doctor, including:
- Regular Check-ups
- Cold or Illness
- Developmental Milestones
- Behavioral and Mental health
- Allergies and Asthma
There are several ways to schedule appointments online for your child:
- Schedule a Pediatric Appointment. You can book an appointment online with our experienced pediatricians.
- Guest Appointment. You can easily book as a guest by providing your child’s information online.
- Hoag Connect MyChart. . If you already have a Hoag Connect MyChart account, you can schedule online without the need to re-enter your personal information and insurance details. You can learn more about Hoag Connect MyChart here. Please add a note explaining the reason for your visit.
- Urgent Care. In situations where your child requires immediate care and your pediatrician is not available for a same-day appointment, our Urgent Care locations are available to provide prompt medical attention. Visit Urgent Care. You can visit our Urgent Care website to view wait times and to reserve your spot.
6. How can I schedule an appointment for another adult, such as a family member?
There are several ways to schedule appointments online for your family member:
- Guest Account. You can easily schedule as a guest by providing information for the family member online.
- Hoag Connect MyChart. Please ask the adult family member to log into MyChart and go to the Sharing Hub to grant access to you to schedule. Here is more information on using MyChart.
- Urgent Care. In situations where your family member requires immediate care and your doctor is not available for a same-day appointment, our Urgent Care facility is available to provide prompt medical attention for patients of all ages.
7. How can I reschedule or cancel an appointment?
For Hoag Medical Group primary care physicians, you can reschedule or cancel existing appointments using Hoag Connect MyChart. For other Hoag doctors, please call the physician’s office to reschedule or cancel appointments.